Mother’s Day weekend will be aerial treat in Lake Charles this year. People are invited to bring the whole family to Chennault International Airport as fantastic flying machines fill the wild blue yonder with jaw-dropping aerial feats.
Thrills for all ages are in store for the 2019 Kia of Lake Charles CHENNAULT INTERNATIONAL AIRSHOW, presented by Phillips 66, which takes place May 10-12.
General admission tickets are $20 in advance at chennaultairshow.com and $24 at the gate. Children 12 and under are admitted free (general admission).
The show features Air Combat Command F-16 Viper Demonstration Team, the aerobatics of the Phillips 66 Aerostars, a variety of entertainment from the Red Bull aviation teams and much more.
Enjoy the Airshow like a boss
The key for optimum enjoyment is preparation.
So: It’s Airshow day. You’ve got your tickets. You’re looking through the list of performers, and you check your phone to make sure you’re on time. You want to make sure that you are prepared for the day ahead, but feel like you’re missing something.
- Here are some suggestions to make sure you have the best experience possible:
- Being that we live in Louisiana, expect it to be warm and humid. Bring sunscreen and head protection.
- You’ll be looking toward the sky a lot, so bring sunglasses for eye protection.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to avoid dehydration.
- The sprawling Airshow has plenty on the ground to see. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Between aerial performances, browse through the exhibits and displays.
- Bring ear protection — especially for children. Expect lots of loud noise throughout the show.
- Not only are kids and grandkids 12 and under admitted free, there are lots of way to keep them engaged. The SASOL Stem Tent will showcase exhibits tied to science, technology, engineering and technology (STEM) areas, with McNeese and SOWELA taking part. The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Kids’ Zone will offer an area of fun and recreation. Also, people of all ages can visit the Dream Big exhibit and the Dash Aero cockpit simulator trailer.
- The Airshow welcomes lawn chairs. Bring some and give your feet a rest.
- Check out the Airshow layout and parking maps ahead of time at chennaultairshow,com.
- The entire airfield is a non-smoking area.
- Pets are not allowed unless they’re service animals.
- The Airshow does not permit large totes or purses, coolers, glass bottles or alcoholic beverages.
- Knives, guns, weapons and drugs are prohibited.
Prepare for takeoff
The Airshow opens May 10 with a Friday evening show, with gates opening at 5 p.m. and opening ceremonies at 6:30 p.m. The shows on May 11 and May 12 (Mother’s Day) will have gates opening at 9 a.m. and the welcoming ceremonies beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Parking is free. Food and drinks will be sold. Premium seating is available.
Proceeds from the Airshow benefit STEM education outreach.